Halloween is 7 days away — plenty of time for procrastinators like me to pull together a costume. Curious what’s trending this year in the costume world? The Top 5 Costume Searches in 2014, according to Yahoo, are:
2. Star Wars
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
4. Monster High
5. Captain America
Here are a few ways to get your costume on the cheap:
1) Use your creativity: Pinterest is an amazing place to browse for cute DIY Halloween costumes. You can find inspiration on my creative Halloween costumes Pinterest board. I’ve had fun browsing for cute and creative homemade costumes for kids, adults — and don’t forget the pets! Google says searches for dog costumes are up 15% this year! Here are some of my favorites:
Find these and more on Houston on the Cheap’s Pinterest.
2) Shop sales: New sales are popping up as it gets closer to Halloween:
- Target.com: Save up to 40% on costumes at Target. Order by 10/27 to ensure Halloween delivery.
- Walmart: Lots of Rollback pricing with many kids’ costumes at $9.97.
- Disney Store: Save up to 40% on costumes and accessories at Disney Store.
- CostumeCraze.com: 40% off sitewide and 60% off clearance. Some costumes are $3.41!
- ToysRUs: Save 35% off all Halloween costumes at ToysRUs through October 25.
3) Browse thrift stores: Goodwill and other thrift stores can be a goldmine for pulling together creative, yet inexpensive costumes. Families often donate costumes to Goodwill after Halloween, so it can be a great place to find a gently-used costume for kids — who grow quickly anyway. Here are a few costume ideas from an article on Goodwill’s site. And some tips: keep an open mind, find a starter piece, and think characters.