TODAY STARTS A NEW FEATURE called CHEAP SUMMER, since school is winding down for families this week. I’ll post Cheap Summer Fun for Kids every day as long as I find the deals! I’ll certainly continue with my other regular “cheap” and free posts as well. Happy Summer!
COOL MOVIE THEATERS are always a pleasant thing in hot Houston summers! How about seeing children’s movies on weekday mornings for $1 or even free? Houston movie theaters are offering a variety of great summer movie camps for kids again this year.
- AMC Summer MovieCamp features $1 kid-oriented movies each Wednesday at 10 a.m. from June 17 to August 5, 2009. AMC also has discounted its kids combo pack to $3 during Summer MovieCamp for a kids drink, popcorn and snack — almost a 50 percent savings. Check out the full schedule for Wednesday $1 flicks here. Participating AMC locations in the Houston area include First Colony 24, Katy Mills 20, Gulf Pointe 30, Deerbrook 24, and Willowbrook 24.
- Studio Movie Grill offers its 2009 Summer Children’s Series Monday through Thursday at 11 a.m. beginning June 8. Prices are $1/kids and $2/adults. Check out the full movie schedule here. Studio Movie Grill locations are Copperfield (Hwy. 6 N at West Road) and City Centre (Beltway 8 and I10 West).
- Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse begins June 10 with family films shown every Wednesday at 10 a.m. (The Cypress theater begins June 9 with shows on both Tuesday and Wednesday each week at 10 a.m.) Tickets to all 10 movies can be purchased for $5 — or $1 each per show at the box office. Schedules vary by location: Memorial City @ Memorial City Mall, Tinseltown 290 (near Pinemont) and Cinemark 12 Cypress (Hwy. 290 near Spring Cypress).
- Free? Rave Motion Pictures is hosting a Free Family Film Festival every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10 a.m. beginning June 9. This 8-week film festival schedule is here. Rave Yorktown 15 is located at 15900 Yorktown Crossing off Hwy. 6 and West Little York.
- Silverado 19 IMAX begins a free family movie series June 15 for five weeks. Free movies are offered Monday through Thursday at 11 a.m. Check out the complete schedule here. Silverado 19 is located on Hwy. 249 near Tomball.
- And don’t forget the free movie festival that Megan Salch mentioned in her guest post on June 2. The Free Family Film Festival runs each Tuesday and Wednesday at 10 am at the Edwards Marq*E Stadium located at 7600 Katy Freeway. The weekly movies are posted on the Web site here and range from “Charlotte’s Web” to “Bee Movie.”