Coming off of a World Series high, the Houston Astros are back in action, ready to show fans that they’re no one-hit wonder. With their new popularity, ticket prices are going up and you may worry that seats will be harder to come by. However, with games happening several times a week (sometimes even twice a day!), there are plenty of opportunities to catch a game at Minute Maid Park. Here are tips on how to score cheap Astros tickets this season, plus some bonus tips on making your Minute Maid Park experience even cheaper:
1. Take advantage of value days
From Family Sundays to Dollar Dog Night, you’re bound to find a package deal that will fit you and your family’s schedule. In addition to cheaper tickets, you also might score some freebies like t-shirts! Read more about Value Days on the MLB website.
2. Use SeatGeek to find resale deals
Resale tickets are a great way to get discounted Astros game tickets. However, there are risks involved so make sure you are getting them trusted seller. SeatGeek is a great resale option and assures buyers that they are getting a legitimate deal.
Another great thing about SeatGeek is their Deal Score feature. This tool tells you exactly how good the deal you’re getting is so you can find the best deals quickly and confidently.
3. Check right before game time for the lowest prices
Even with their recent success, not every game will sell out, especially as the season goes on (seriously, there are 162 games in a season). So, in an effort to not miss out on an investment, resalers are known to drop ticket prices hours before an event. All you have to do is keep refreshing SeatGeek a few hours before and watch those prices drop. This tactic has been previously used to obtain World Series tickets at reasonable prices 30 minutes before game time.
4. Steer clear of Craigslist
Craigslist may seem like the best place to score a deal and get cheap Astros tickets. However, there’s no guarantee that the tickets will be legit and often times can be a scam. Furthermore, it can be dangerous to meet with strangers to pick up tickets, so stick with trusted sellers like SeatGeek.
5. Follow the Astros on social media
When the occasional flash sale for tickets come up, the first place they’ll announce it is on social media, so make sure you’re following the team on Instagram and Facebook so you don’t miss a surprise deal.
Other Ways to Do the Astros on the Cheap
Getting cheap Astros tickets is only half the battle. There are still tons of other expenses that come with going to a ballgame, like parking, concessions, and more. Here are a few other tips that will help you have a great time at the Astros game without breaking the bank.
- Use Lyft to get to the game–This might not get you a cheap ticket, but you can save yourself some money and hassle when parking. Lyft is offering Houston On The Cheap readers an exclusive promo code for their trip to Minute Maid Park. New Lyft users can use HOUCHEAP for $20 credit. Make your Lyft account now.
- Bring your own food and water–Since 2012, Minute Maid Park has started allowing fans to bring food and water into Astros games. Their official food and drink policy allows each person to bring one sealed water bottle and a one-gallon clear Ziploc bag gull of food. Note that metal cans or glass bottles aren’t allowed. With ballpark food being so expensive, this can save your family a lot of money.
Which Astros games are you planning on attending this season? Let us know in the comments below!