Travel fills the soul but the prices can add up quick. But we have good news for you frugal travelers (this is Houston on the Cheap, after all). Searching for the best deals on cheap flights from Houston to anywhere doesn’t have to be stressful. We’ve gathered the best money-saving tips for booking air travel to help you get out more.
Read more below for our roundup of how to get the best deals on cheap flights from Houston:
- Search often but don’t delay. You want to look often enough to be familiar with things like the cheapest day and time to fly or the cheapest areas to land. At the same time, you don’t want to put off booking a flight you know you’re going to take. The peak time to book a flight is between 6-8 weeks ahead of time in the offseason and about 3 months during peak times. In general, those last minute flight deals that were easy to come by a few years ago don’t really exist these days.
- Use the best search engines. TripAdvisor can help you with all aspects of your trip, including things to do and restaurants to visit. FlightHub offers awesome flight deals from Houston with their deals of the day. And of course, don’t forget about Google. With Google Flights, you can easily search for deals and even set alerts to get notified when prices drop, making it a little easier to find flight deals from Houston.
- Check all of your options. Some days or times might be cheaper to book flights than others. Landing in a different, nearby city might save you some bucks. While you’re at it, be sure you know all of the extra or hidden fees (e.g. some airlines offer free carry-ons, others don’t). In short, be flexible if at all possible when booking your flights. Sometimes, just bumping your travel plans by a day or two can save you a big chunk of change.
- Search for one person at a time. This is a little hack that a lot of people don’t know. When you’re searching for a group, search engines tend to show the most expensive seats. Instead, search for just one individual when booking your flight from Houston. You can choose to add more seats later.
- Sign up for frequent flyer programs or become an airline member. You can give CheapOair your email address and they’ll give you $50 off of fees. Priceline.com offers coupons, special offers, and promos when give them your email address.
- Take advantage of the discounts you already have. Some airlines offer discounts for students and military. You might also find inexpensive flights from Houston using other memberships or through your employer. And don’t forget to check your credit card rewards for mileage you can cash in to make booking your flights a little less expensive.
- Let them know you’re special! Call the airline and tell them if you’re a social media influencer or if you’re visiting for a special occasion like your birthday or anniversary. You can also refer your friends for a discount in the future or ask about group rates. It never hurts to ask!
How do you get the best flight deals from Houston? Let us know in the comments!