If you’re headed to Downtown Houston, finding parking can be difficult and confusing. The signs aren’t always clear, and sometimes, they seem to conflict with one another. Trying to navigate where you’re allowed to park, when the metered spots are free or require payment, and how long you can park isn’t always easy, and the last thing you want is to get an expensive parking ticket or, even worse, to get towed.
Houston’s metered, on-street parking is available on various Downtown streets for up to 3 hours at a time. Those same parking spots also have a set schedule where they’re free!
Bookmark this post and use it as often as possible! Here is our guide to Houston’s free parking holidays and times:
Free Parking in Downtown Houston – Every Day
Metered Parking is free in the evenings and on Sundays. Just make sure you don’t park in a valet zone or commercial zone and always read signs before you park.
- Monday through Saturday, 6 pm – 7 am
- Sundays- All Day
Free Parking in Downtown Houston – Holidays
Metered Parking in Houston is also free on official city holidays. Here’s the 2022 parking holidays schedule:
- New Year’s Day – Monday, January 3
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 17
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 30
- Independence Day – Monday, July 4
- Labor Day – Monday, September 5
- Veterans Day – Friday, November 11
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 24
- Day After Thanksgiving – Friday, November 25
- Christmas Eve – Friday, December 23
- Christmas Day- Monday, December 26
Houston Parking App
The ParkHouston App makes it very convenient for pay for parking when in the Downtown Houston area. The App is free and it makes it easy to find and pay for parking without running back to feed the meter. And for added convenience, you can reserve spots ahead of time!
Download ParkHouston App – Powered by ParkMobile — Visit www.parkmobile.io for more information.
Other parking payment options include
- Google Pay – Open your Google pay account and select Pay for Street Parking
- Text – Text “PARK” to 77223
- Web – Go to Parkmobile.io and click Ready to Park Now
- Credit Card
- Cash – Never pay anyone cash to park on-street. Only pay at the meter. Pay stations are not equipped to provide change.
Houston Parking Garages
Parking garages are available at multiple places in the Downtown area. Complete list of Parking Garages in Downtown Houston is available. When parking in a private parking lot, the attendant should have a logo on their shirt matching the parking lot sign.It is recommended that you park in lots that provide a pay station that produces a printed receipt for proof of payment.
Houston Parking Tickets & Citations
In case you do get a parking ticket, you can use the Online Service Center to pay and contest parking citations or purchase permits.
Parking Tips For Downtown Houston
In addition to understanding the free days Houston parking holidays and other free times for parking, there are a few steps you can take to make sure you park safely:
- Check all of the signs along the block when you park to make sure you’re following all regulations for the area.
- Be aware of mobility lane hours when certain blocks become tow-away zones to help commuters get to and from work.
- Never park in commercial loading zones.
- Pay attention to the time limits when you pay for parking.
- Know the mobility lane hours (7am-9am, 4pm-6pm). To help get commuters in and out of downtown, several blocks become tow-away zones during commute hours. Check the signs carefully for these restrictions.
- Take a refresher course and review the Texas Transportation Code parking regulations in the Driver’s Handbook. Signs are not required to be posted for these regulations.
Do you know of any other times when you can park for free in Houston? Tell us what we missed by leaving a comment below.
Check out the Best Things to do in Downtown Houston including attractions, restaurants and more!
Like the article above? Get free updates on fun events, activities and other news related to Houston by giving us a Like or Follow or Facebook