Finding free parking in Downtown Houston can be difficult and confusing. The signs aren’t always clear, and sometimes, they seem to conflict with one another. Trying to navigate where you’re allowed to park, when the metered spots are free or require payment, and how long you can park isn’t always easy. Plus, the last thing you want is to get an expensive parking ticket or, even worse, to get towed.
So, if you are searching for “free parking Houston,” “downtown Houston hotels with free parking,” or “parking downtown Houston free,” we got you covered!
Houston’s metered, on-street parking is available on various Downtown streets for up to 3 hours at a time. Those same parking spots also have a set schedule where they’re free!
Bookmark this post and use it as often as possible as you check our guide to free parking Downtown Houston.
Editor’s Note: Our staff works hard to confirm that the information below is accurate, but details are always subject to change so we recommend verifying everything before you park.
Deal Alert – Save Up to 33% on Houston Hobby Airport Parking
Three or Five Days of Uncovered or Covered Parking at Key Airport Parking at HOU!
Key Airport Parking gives travelers a convenient spot to safely store their vehicles while they’re out of town for vacation, business trips, and other endeavors. The offsite parking lot is only a 7-minute car ride from William P. Hobby Airport in Houston, and Key Airport Parking offers complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. For extra protection from the elements, there’s a covered area of the parking lot that shields vehicles from rain, the sun, and rude birds.
Free Parking Downtown Houston – Daily Free Parking
Metered Parking is FREE after 6 pm Monday-Saturday and all day Sunday. Just make sure you don’t park in a valet zone or commercial zone and always read signs before you park.
- Monday through Saturday, 6 pm – 7 am
- Sundays- All Day
Free Parking Downtown Houston Holidays
Metered Parking in Houston is also free on official city holidays. Here’s the 2023 parking holidays schedule:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 16
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 29
- Juneteenth Day – Monday, June 19
- Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4
- Labor Day – Monday, September 4
- Veterans Day – Friday, November 10
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 23
- Day After Thanksgiving – Friday, November 24
- Christmas Eve – Friday, December 22
- Christmas – Monday, December 25
Free Parking Downtown Houston – Parking App
The ParkHouston App makes it very convenient to pay for parking when in the Downtown Houston area. The App is free and it makes it easy to find and pay for parking without running back to feed the meter. And for added convenience, you can reserve spots ahead of time!
Download ParkHouston App – Powered by ParkMobile — Visit www.parkmobile.io for more information.
Other parking payment options include
- Google Pay – Open your Google pay account and select Pay for Street Parking
- Text – Text “PARK” to 77223
- Web – Go to Parkmobile.io and click Ready to Park Now
- Credit Card
- Cash – Never pay anyone cash to park on-street. Only pay at the meter. Pay stations are not equipped to provide change.
Deal Alert: – Save 50% On Houston Museums & Other Top Attractions
The CityPASS is the best way to enjoy museums and other popular attractions around Houston. It offers prepaid admission to five must-see attractions including Space Center Houston, Downtown Aquarium, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston Zoo OR Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Kemah Boardwalk OR Children’s Museum of Houston.
Child passes valid for ages 3–11; adult passes valid for ages 12 and up. Definitely among the smartest things to do in Houston! Click here to Save 50% on Admission at Houston Attractions!!!
Free Parking Downtown Houston – Free Parking Garage
Parking garages are available at multiple places in the Downtown area. A complete list of Parking Garages in Downtown Houston is available. When parking in a private parking lot, the attendant should have a logo on their shirt matching the parking lot sign. It is recommended that you park in lots that provide a pay station that produces a printed receipt for proof of payment.
Houston Parking Tickets & Citations
In case you do get a parking ticket, you can use the Online Service Center to pay and contest parking citations or purchase permits.
Free Parking Downtown Houston – Parking Tips
In addition to understanding the free days of Houston parking holidays and other free times for parking, there are a few steps you can take to make sure you park safely:
- Check all of the signs along the block when you park to make sure you’re following all regulations for the area.
- Be aware of mobility lane hours when certain blocks become tow-away zones to help commuters get to and from work.
- Never park in commercial loading zones.
- Pay attention to the time limits when you pay for parking.
- Know the mobility lane hours (7 am – 9 am, 4 pm – 6 pm). To help get commuters in and out of downtown, several blocks become tow-away zones during commute hours. Check the signs carefully for these restrictions.
- Take a refresher course and review the Texas Transportation Code parking regulations in the Driver’s Handbook. Signs are not required to be posted for these regulations.
Do you know of any other times when you can park for free in Houston? Tell us what we missed by leaving a comment below.
Check out the Best Things to do in Downtown Houston including attractions, restaurants, and more!
There are always lots of fun events going on in Houston. Check out our weekly updates to Things to do in Houston this Week, Things to do in Houston this Weekend, and Things to do in Houston this Weekend with Kids to stay up to date!
And you can get updates delivered to you in your news feed by following us on Facebook by clicking on the … next to the search lens icon.