Did you know Thursday is the magic day to enjoy free museums in Houston? That’s right — many museums around the city offer free entry on Thursdays, making it a great way to experience some of the city’s best attractions without spending a dime!
Browsing a museum is a great indoor activity to learn new things and stay out of the weather, and with free museum days in Houston, you can do it free.
Free Museum Thursdays
- Houston Museum of Natural Science — 2 pm – 5 pm (note: free Thursday hours are from 3 pm -6 pm on holidays and from 6 pm- 9 pm during summer months; you can also get over 50% off tickets every day of the week with this offer)
- Children’s Museum of Houston — 5 pm – 8 pm
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston — 10 am – 9 pm
- The Health Museum — 2 pm – 7 pm
- Houston Museum of African American Culture — 6 pm – 8 pm
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum — 1 pm – 5 pm
- Holocaust Museum Houston — 2 pm – 5 pm
Other Free Museum Days in Houston
While Thursday is the main free museum day, a couple of other local attractions have their own special free admission days:
- Czech Center Museum Houston — Free the last Monday of each month from 12 pm – 4 pm
- Houston Zoo — Free the first Tuesday of each month September through May from 12 pm until close.
Always Free Museums in Houston
In addition to free museum Thursday, there are also many museums across the city that are free every day of the week! Here are some of the best free museums in Houston:
- Asia Society Texas Center
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
- Houston Center for Photography
- The Jung Center
- Lawndale Art Center
- The Menil Collection
- Moody Center for the Arts
- Rothko Chapel (temporarily closed for restoration)
Browse the Houston Museum District Web site for location and hours of Houston museums.
For cheap and free fun every day, make sure to check our guide for the best things to do in Houston this week.