Did you know Thursday is the magic day to enjoy free museums in Houston? That’s right — many museums around the city offer free entry on Thursdays, making it a great way to experience some of the city’s best attractions without spending a dime!
Browsing a museum is a great indoor activity to learn new things and stay out of the weather, and with free museum days in Houston, you can do it free.
Please keep in mind that some museums have modified hours or may even be temporarily closed during these times, and many others may require advanced reservations before your visit. So always make sure to check the museum’s website before you head out.
Free Museum Thursdays
- Houston Museum of Natural Science — 2 pm – 5 pm (note: free Thursday hours are from 3 pm -6 pm on holidays and from 6 pm- 9 pm during summer months; you can also get over 50% off tickets every day of the week with this offer)
- Children’s Museum of Houston (TEMPORARILY CLOSED)— 5 pm – 8 pm
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston — 11 am – 9 pm
- The Health Museum — 2 pm – 7 pm
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum — 1 pm – 4 pm
- Holocaust Museum Houston — 2 pm – 5 pm
Other Free Museum Days in Houston
While Thursday is the main free museum day, a couple of other local attractions have their own special free admission days:
- Czech Center Museum Houston — Free the last Monday of each month from 12 pm – 4 pm
- Houston Zoo — Free the first Tuesday of each month September through May from 12 pm until close.
Always Free Museums in Houston
In addition to free museum Thursday, there are also many museums across the city that are free every day of the week! Remember, some of these museums may have modified hours and might require advanced reservations, so always check their website before heading out.
Here are some of the best free museums in Houston:
- Asia Society Texas Center
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (TEMPORARILY CLOSED)
- DiverseWorks (TEMPORARILY CLOSED)
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft (TEMPORARILY CLOSED)
- Houston Center for Photography
- Houston Museum of African American Culture (only open Fridays & Saturdays by appointment only)
- The Jung Center (TEMPORARILY CLOSED)
- Lawndale Art Center
- The Menil Collection
- Moody Center for the Arts
- Rothko Chapel
Browse the Houston Museum District Web site for location and hours of Houston museums.
For cheap and free fun every day, make sure to check our guide for the best things to do in Houston this week.