When it comes to barbecue, Chef Ronnie Killen is nothing short of an icon. The Pearland chef has gained national notoriety for his culinary skills, and each day, his barbecue joint, Killen’s Barbecue, draws lines of hungry diners. Chef Killen also operates a number of other successful restaurants across the area, all of which are worth checking out.
But while Chef Killen is most known for the delicious meats he cooks up, his sides deserve equally as much acclaim. Most notably, his creamed corn is simply out of this world. Seriously, we’re addicted to it and could eat it by the gallon if we could.
Now for some good news. You can make Killen’s Creamed Corn right at home as he has shared the recipe a couple of times over the years!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
You can get all of the ingredients you’ll need delivered straight to your home with Instacart (review) or another grocery delivery service. You’ll also need a blender or food processor if you don’t have one already.
- 8 ears of corn
- 1 cup cream
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sugar (adjust as needed based on sweetness of corn)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste (Chef Killen recommends Himalayan Pink Salt)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Shuck corn and cut the kernels off the cobs. Cut cobs in half once all kernels are removed.
- Bring milk and cream to a simmer in a large pot. Add cobs to liquid for about 30 minutes.
- Using a separate pan, melt butter and add corn kernels. Saute over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove cobs from milk and cream mixture, scraping off all milk. Discard the cobs.
- Move milk and cream mixture to a blender or food processor.
- Add 1/4 of the sauteed corn to the milk and cream mixture. Blend until smooth.
- Add the blended mixture back into the pan with the rest of the corn. Simmer for another 30 minutes or so, until thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Transfer creamed corn to a casserole dish and sprinkle cheese on top. Broil until cheese starts to brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Want to experience a delicious meal from the master himself? Make sure to check out all of Killen’s great restaurants, including Killen’s Barbecue, Killen’s STQ, Killen’s Steakhouse, Killen’s TMX, and Killen’s Burgers.