Calling all basketball junkies who are hungry to get back into the gyms for some pickup games: Here’s an opportunity to sharpen your skills with the best of the best.
The Houston Rockets are making the most the COVID-19 pandemic by offering virtual coaching clinics instructed by some of the top Rockets players of the past, in addition to members of the team’s coaching staff.
And while your jump shot is likely to improve after some instructions from sharp-shooting point guard John Lucas, the best part of these virtual clinics is that it’s all for a good cause.
The Rockets are asking for a $25 donation to access 7 different clinic videos totaling more than 80 minutes of instruction. Proceeds from these clinics support local COVID-19 relief efforts.
The clinic videos include:
A dynamic warmup with Willie Cruz, the Rockets’ athletic performance coach. That’s followed by:
- Free throw shooting and ball handling with Calvin Murphy, who played for the rockets from 1970 to 1983.
- Improve your shooting with John Lucas.
- Defense and rebounding with Maurice Taylor.
- A moving without the ball film with Rockets assistant coach Brett Gunning.
- A passing film session with Gunning.
- And a basketball IQ film session with Gunning.
The clinics can be purchased and played over the Rocket’s official app for iOS and Android.
If you’re feeling extra generous — and are a die-hard Rockets fan — you can also donate $50 for a personalized recording by the team’s play-by-play announcer Matt Thomas. That recording could make for the perfect voicemail greeting.