The wait is finally over! Disney+, the brand new streaming service from Disney, has finally launched in the US, and if you’re like me (or my kids), you’ve been waiting anxiously to try it. After some hands-on time with the new family-friendly streaming service, I’m going to offer my first impressions as well as answer many of the questions you might have about Disney+, including its cost, how to try the service, what shows and movies it offers, and so much more.
What is Disney+?
Disney+ is a streaming service that offers access to an on-demand library of popular shows, movies, original series, and more from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Nat Geo, and more. The service features old content we’re all familiar with and love (classic Disney and Pixar movies, Marvel movies, The Simpsons, and more) and new exclusive series (like Star Wars’ The Mandalorian) you can’t find anywhere else.
How Much Does Disney+ Cost?
Disney+ is $6.99 per month or you can prepay for a full year at $69.99, which basically gives you two months free. For comparison, the monthly rate is about half the price of the average Netflix subscription.
Additionally, there’s a special bundle offering that lets you get Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ for just $12.99 a month.
Is There a Disney+ Free Trial?
Yes, you can try Disney+ free for 7 days with no commitment required. That gives you a full week to test out the service and see if it’s something you want to subscribe to. If you want to keep it, you’ll pay $6.99 a month after the free trial for as long as you want the service. If you don’t want to keep it, just cancel before the end of your trial period.
How Can You Sign Up for Disney+?
Signing up for Disney+ is easy. Here’s all you need to do:
- Visit the Disney+ website
- Click the “Start Your Free Trial” button to get a free 7-day trial
- Create your Disney+ account
- Add the Disney+ app to your streaming device, smart TV, and/or phone/tablet
- Enjoy watching everything Disney+ has to offer!
What are the Disney+ Devices You Can Stream On?
Disney+ is available on just about every device you can think of, including:
- Streaming Players & Gaming Consoles–Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
- Smart TVs–LG Smart TVs, Android-based Sony Smart TVs, Roku Smart TVs, Amazon Fire Smart TVs
- Mobile Devices–Android phones & tablets, Amazon Fire tablets, iPhone/iPad
- Web browsers on PC/Mac
What Disney+ Shows and Movies are Available?
Disney+ offers TV shows and movies from Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, Nat Geo, and FOX, as well as some exclusive original series. The current library at launch includes nearly 500 movies and 7,500 episodes of shows.
Here are some of the highlights:
- 16 movies from the Marvel movie universe at launch
- Pixar movies and shorts (nearly all of them are currently available), including Toy Story, Inside Out, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Cars, A Bugs Life, and more
- Classic Disney movies, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, Bambi, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Cinderella, and more
- Star Wars movies, including all 6 of the original films between 1977-199, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The entire sage will be available by the end of 2020
- Marvel TV series dating back to the 1970s, including X-Men, Spider-Man, and Marvel’s Runaways
- 30 seasons of The Simpsons
- Thousands of episodes from Disney Channel and Disney Junior series, including Kim Possible, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, High School Musical, PJ Masks, and more
- National Geographic series, documentaries, and more
- Classic 90s series like Boy Meets World, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, etc.
- Exclusive Disney+ original series, like The Mandalorian and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series
What are Some Other Disney+ Features?
- 4K streaming included for all (no need for a more expensive plan like Netflix)
- Four simultaneous streams included
- No contract – cancel any time
Is Disney+ Worth It?
At just $6.99 a month (with 4K included), Disney+ is definitely worth it for families that love all the content under the Disney umbrella (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc.). The library already has enough content to keep the whole family entertained for quite a while, and in the months ahead, they’ll continue to add both existing content from their vault and exclusive shows and movies you won’t be able to get anywhere else.
Remember, you can try Disney+ free for 7 days and test it out for yourself to see if it’s a good fit for you and your family.