Free parking in Downtown Houston has metered & on-street options available and are free for up to 3 hours at a time.
Plus, there are times when these same parking areas are free the entire day! When is parking free Downtown Houston? Check out below!
Finding free parking in Downtown Houston can be difficult and confusing. Plus, the last thing you want is to get an expensive parking ticket or, even worse, to get towed.
So, if you are searching for “free parking Houston,” “downtown Houston hotels with free parking,” or “parking downtown Houston free,” we have you covered!
Bookmark this post and use it as often as possible as you check our guide to free parking Downtown Houston.
Editor’s Note: Our staff works hard to confirm that the information below is accurate, but details are always subject to change so we recommend verifying everything before you park.
Metered Parking is FREE before 7 am and after 6 pm Monday-Saturday and all day Sunday. Just make sure you don’t park in a valet zone or commercial zone, and always read signs before you park.
- Monday through Saturday, 6 pm – 7 am
- Sundays- All Day
Metered Parking in Houston is also free on official city holidays. Here’s the 2024 parking holidays schedule:
- New Year’s Day – Monday, January 1
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 15
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 27
- Juneteenth Day – Wednesday, June 19
- Independence Day – Thursday, July 4
- Labor Day – Monday, September 2
- Veterans Day – Monday, November 11
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 28
- Day After Thanksgiving – Friday, November 29
- Christmas Eve – Tuesday, December 24
- Christmas Day – Wednesday, December 2
The ParkHouston App makes it very convenient to pay for parking when in the Downtown Houston area. The App is free, and it makes it easy to find and pay for parking without running back to feed the meter. And for added convenience, you can reserve spots ahead of time!
Download ParkHouston App – Powered by ParkMobile — Visit www.parkmobile.io for more information.
Other parking payment options include
- Google Pay – Open your Google Play account and select Pay for Street Parking
- Text – Text “PARK” to 77223
- Web – Go to Parkmobile.io and click Ready to Park Now
- Credit Card
- Cash – Never pay anyone cash to park on-street. Only pay at the meter. Pay stations are not equipped to provide change.
Parking garages are available at multiple places in the Downtown area. A complete list of Parking Garages in Downtown Houston is available. When parking in a private parking lot, the attendant should have a logo on their shirt matching the parking lot sign. It is recommended that you park in lots that provide a pay station that produces a printed receipt for proof of payment.
In case you do get a parking ticket, you can use the Online Service Center to pay and contest parking citations or purchase permits.
In addition to understanding the free days of Houston parking holidays and other free times for parking, there are a few steps you can take to make sure you park safely:
- Check all of the signs along the block when you park to make sure you’re following all regulations for the area.
- Be aware of mobility lane hours when certain blocks become tow-away zones to help commuters get to and from work.
- Never park in commercial loading zones.
- Pay attention to the time limits when you pay for parking.
- Know the mobility lane hours (7 am – 9 am, 4 pm – 6 pm). To help get commuters in and out of downtown, several blocks become tow-away zones during commute hours. Check the signs carefully for these restrictions.
- Take a refresher course and review the Texas Transportation Code parking regulations in the Driver’s Handbook. Signs are not required to be posted for these regulations.
Do you know of any other times when you can park for free in Houston? Tell us what we missed by leaving a comment below.
And you can get updates delivered to you in your news feed by following us on Facebook by clicking on the … next to the search lens icon.